Friday, April 2, 2010

Mon Amie Ribbonerie, and other creative endeavors


Did you notice the gorgeous hat I added on the right-side nav of the blog? That's delicately handmade work from Mon Amie Ribbonerie. If you look closely (by which I mean, follow the link to the Mon Amie Ribbonerie site) you'll see a very finely rendered appreciation for antique hand work, the well-made materials, like ribbon, from before the turn of the previous century, and an eye for Art Nouveau design. (This is me, modeling a Mon Amie pink rose.) I recently heard a business analysis of demographic behavior that seemed surprisingly disconnected from what I perceive as an increasing interest in hand-crafted art and the relative importance of hand-crafting in the things we use every day. I could be wrong about the perception; thoughts and comments are welcome on that.

I recently "commissioned" a minor work of art from Ultra Cute Crochet because I wanted a Boxer-ears hat for Rodney. It was whipped up and shipped to me in just a few days. Rodney loves it. Along with another beautiful crocheted hat Lis made for him, it's gotten his bald head throught the unusually cold winter and spring. You might not be able to buy locally, but you can certainly buy hand- or homemade if you look (welcome to the internet).

You probably already support local or independent endeavors. If you get your hair cut at an independently-owned salon or shop at a local grocery or farmer's market, you do. If you eat out on Friday or Saturday night at a locally-owned restaurant, you do. In some cases the avenue to independent retail has been blocked; most markets don't have independently owned bookstores any more, for instance. (This is a sore point at Eat Here.) If you make a point of going out to listen to live music now and then, you do. And the world gets smaller and smaller, my loves. We are pulled together into tiny, busy virtual communities like the ones at Eat Here or Bless Our Hearts, and we are able to influence each other. So here's my voice of influence: go out and listen to music, or buy yourself a perfectly gorgeous hair clip or beaded necklace made by someone yo know or recommended by someone you know, or just go to the farmer's market to buy your tomatoes and peppers. And if you can't find local music, let me know. I can hook you up with a MadriGalz CD full of Christmas music.

Oh, wait. Let me know about that in October or, when you're ready to think about holiday-ish stuff. For now, go to the farmer's market. Go out and listen to music. And be thankful for the arrival of spring on the calendar, and in all our hearts.

2 comments:

  1. There's a "rule" in our town. No chains. No Radio Shacks. No Starbucks. No Gaps. There is a Rite Aid, though. All the businesses on Main St. are local. Some make it, some do not. But it makes for a nice community.

    We also have a great farmers' market.

    My recommendation- listen to the MadriGalz CD of Christmas music while perusing your local farmers' market. That's what I did. It was lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, I've heard of such things, but I think there may be a State Law in Florida that mandates the opposite of your town's sensible approach. Something tells me we in Florida may be govered by a law that says, "If you have enough money, honey bring it ON," or words to that effect. I welcome the input of other Floridians, of course.

    And thank you, THANK YOU, for your kinds review of the MadriGalz. That's work we love doing and are proud to share, especially if listeners are shopping at a local farmer's market while they tune in!
    Love, love.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. If you have trouble getting past the gatekeeper, email and let me know.